Thursday, April 14, 2011

Marchesa Casati is my B.


My dear friend and co-worker Coleen Broderick, creator of The Well Versed Wardrobe, was telling me about how she was "thinking about me" the other day while she was brushing up on some fashion history.  Her exact words were "Well there's this woman... and she totally creeps me out.. which leads me to believe that you would love her."

Oh she knows me too well. 

The woman she was referring to was Marchesa Casati.  I. Am. In. Love.  The only way to describe her is if Tim Burton created a character for The Great Gatsby.  An extremely dark beauty with an edge.  I mean the B walked around with leashed chitas and snakes around her neck for jewelery.  She's a gothic girl's fashion icon.  And from what I've read she was quite the socialite.. throwing (and I quote) "legendary soirees"... aka some kick ass parties that I wish I could go back in time and attend.  She also housed a community of artists and friends, which to me sounds like the original "Factory".   She was the ultimate muse for artists of all eras (Galliano, Zac Posen, Tom Ford, Helena Bonham Carter, Cartier, Karl Lagerfeld... and those are just a few)

What a weirdo. She's great.

"Marchesa Casati is a living doll"
- Jack Kerouac

(how appropriate)

Tila Swinton as
Luisa Casati 1881-1957











Her grave reads:

"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety"
Shakespeare



No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?..... comments?...